What Must Be Settled in a Contested Divorce in Florida
In Florida divorcing parties must settle the terms of their contested divorce. This can be achieved by way of marital settlement agreements (negotiation) or litigation (letting a judge decide.) In accordance with Florida Divorce Law, the matters below must be settled in a contested divorce:
- Property Division (Equitable Distribution) – Division of Assets in Florida divorces does not necessarily mean absolute equal distribution of liabilities and assets. There are many factors that your attorney will analyze and focus on to ensure the very best outcome.
- Timesharing & Custody – Florida courts favor equal time-sharing between parents, however it is not presumed. The courts are to look to the best interest of you and your children when determining timesharing and custody, thus 50/50 timesharing is not guaranteed. Every case is unique. Consulting with the best Tampa child custody attorney for you is the first step to resolving custody and timesharing matters.
- Child Support – Florida law states that both parents are to financially provide for their children. The percentage of responsibility to each parent is calculated according to basic guidelines and the parent’s combined net income. When there is supporting evidence to do so, a judge can deviate from child support guidelines. If you are divorcing or you need to modify child support Tampa Florida Child Support Lawyer Nilo J Sanchez can represent you.
- Alimony – Both men and women can be awarded alimony in a Florida divorce. Marriages of long duration can result in an order of permanent alimony if it is found to be appropriate. Periodic, durational and rehabilitative alimony may also apply.
- Rehabilitative Alimony
- Durational Alimony
- Permanent Alimony Learn More: High Asset or High Net Worth Divorces
Divorcing in Tampa Bay, Florida
Divorce can be a highly emotional time for couples, especially in high conflict situations. When couples do not agree on all or some of the terms of their divorce, hiring an experienced Tampa Bay contested divorce attorney is crucial to obtain the very best possible outcome. The cost of your divorce is also worrisome to divorcing couples. Attorney Sanchez is an affordable Tampa divorce attorney who can represent you in multiple jurisdictions in Tampa Bay including; Lutz, Brandon, Apollo Beach, Trinity, St. Leo, Clearwater, St Petersburg and multiple Tampa Bay jurisdictions. Please visit our locations page for more information or call us directly if you have any questions.
Schedule a Consultation Today
The first step to resolve in a contested divorce is speaking with a knowledgeable divorce attorney. Please call our office for a consultation or use the form below to request additional information.